Hi! You must be thinking who in the world is sofmema and why should I care? That’s fair! I’ll get there, but let me tell you a story first.
Not so long ago, still in Lisbon, there was a thought gnawing at the back of my mind that wouldn’t go away. I was always a fairly independent girl, with an intense and awkward temper. Well behaved on the outside, but with a latent hidden rebel side.
I had this urge to do something for myself, have something I could call my own, and at the same time serve a bigger purpose. I thought about starting my own company, since in a country caught in a deep economic crisis entrepreneurship became a huge thing. However, THE idea, that new super product that would revolutionize my life and the world around me, never really materialized.
I wanted to help unknown talented musicians get noticed and valued without them having to go through the castrating, manipulating process of major labels and big shot booking & management agencies. But, in the end, I lacked the self-confidence to go through with it.
As time went by and I found a steady stream of jobs that were just about good enough to keep me going, I lost track of my real goals. Life can beat you down, and make you feel like you’ll never be good enough or go anywhere. Well, I’m done with that! I’m sick of never trying, so sofmema has now emerged!
sofmema is my resurrection, my awakening.
sofmema features bimonthly articles combining a long life passion of mine — music — with my recent encounter with digital marketing.
- The first step I needed to take to prove myself I can take control of my own life and I can inspire others as well.
- The hope that if I dream about something, I can make it happen.
- The will to be useful to others by giving my point of view on subjects I’ve become knowledgeable about.
- The result of how a few people can inspire you to simply be you and speak up about what you’re passionate about.
I said to myself why not? and went for it.
So, until the end of this year, I am committing to:
- Presenting exclusive tips from top guitarists all over the world.
- Showing the impact that music has in people’s lives.
- Interviewing music professionals and understand what moves them — from musicians to vocal coaches, instrument builders, and others.
- Showing how closely connected digital marketing and music are nowadays.
- Covering London Grammar’s gig in Dublin this November.
Dream it, then make it happen.